Sunday, July 05, 2009

I see my future in this post

Anonymous, I read your post with great sadness:
Geez, I don't know where to start... First of all, I do NOT ride in the car with my husband, I do all the driving. Diabetes effects the vision big time. When his numbers are off (all the time) his vision changes ... scary stuff. My husband eats whatever he wants, does take a ton of meds, is on dialysis. Kidney failure can happen almost overnight. As far as monitoring meds, you have to monitor meds, food, exercise and overall common sense. If you think it is bad now, what until dialysis. You can only have 32 oz. of liquids a day (includes all liquids)... It is a nightmare!!!!!!!!!! I clean my floor all the time. Pills that he doesn't see that he drops, just dropping things because he can't feel his hands. It is terrible. when you go on dialysis, dialysis only removes so much poison, it does not remove phosphorus, potassium or calcium, so you take so many extra pills. And of course, if you are "non-compliant" like my hubby, you end up with complications that are unbelievable. My hubby has been in a cast, "crow walkers" and now "special shoes" because both his feet and ankles have collapsed. So there is no party going on in my house... but he still eats chocolate, lunchmeat, and all kinds of sugared drinks. That's what I call non-compliance!!!!! If I can say anything to all that just think this disease will just "go away" ... it doesn't! Take your blood count, don't eat or drink what you are not supposed to have, exercise and just take care of yourself. It is a living hell for you family if you don't. We have 5 kids (including a child with special needs) and life has become so difficult. The sad thing is that it could be so much easier if only my hubby would leave the sugar and lunchmeat alone. Obviously, it has been a really challenging weekend at best. It does feel good to know that others can relate. I just wish that people with diabetes would wake up and understand what they are doing to the people who love them with all their hearts. When I look into my childrens eyes, the pain of what their father is doing to them is almost unbearable. Please look around at the ones that you love and stop and think ... Life is too precious ... Love us back as we love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Thank you for this post. I think it should be an eye opener to every spouse out there. And I guess perhaps mopping the floor every day is just going to be in my future.

With my hubby at 20% kidney function, I know it is just a matter of time before he goes on dialysis.....since he's not doing anything to prevent it. I honestly don't think he has a clue how bad it is going to be. I don't think I have a clue.

I truly feel so sorry for you. And sad for your children. I don't see how he can do what he is doing to himself, to you and to your family. But I think there are so many, many, many others in this same situation.

But here's a question I've been pondering for some time now. Your last sentence hit it hard. Can they love us back? If you don't love yourself....how can you love anyone else. And certainly, they must not love themselves the way they treat themselves. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Here's wishing you the very best. My prayers are with you tonight.

DW

No comments: