Friday, April 09, 2010

Pure stupidity- if you ask me!

I let him decide what he wants for breakfast and lunch. So today, he had turkey, cottage cheese and peaches. Hardly any carbs at all. The nutritionist had told him yesterday that he needs 45- 60 carbs per meal and that he should make sure he has them on the days that he has cardiac therapy. I asked him if he wanted more carbs, he said, no.

So, at 2 pm, he was low. He ate an apple. No glucose tabs, of course. And he was low at cardiac therapy.

So how stupid is that? He knows absolutely what he is supposed to do. He knows what he is supposed to eat. He just doesn't want to do it. Or is it a control issue? Or does he just want the attention of the therapists? I sat out in the lobby today - I'm just not going to watch him be stupid. Someone needs to slap this guy up the side of the head for sure!!!

On the way home, I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I told him that if he has a death wish, if he wants to die, let me know, I'll help him out. All he has to do is quit taking all of his meds and we will eat out 3 meals a day, 7 days a week. And if he wants to live, then he needs to do this 100%, not just the parts of it he wants to do.

He said, "yes maam". And I told him not to put this on me. I said that I'm not the person with diabetes or a heart problem. That I am only changing my eathing habits to help him, but I sure don't have to do that. I reminded him that he is the person picking what he wants to eat, not me. I ask him every single meal what he wants. So I have nothing to do with it - it's entirely up to him.

So of course, he's mad at me still. But today, I just didn't care. I'm back to my "good place" where I know this is not my problem, not my disease. I have done a really good job of taking care of him for the last 4 weeks and now it's time that he start taking care of himself. I know he doesn't want to. I know he wants to blame me or anyone else for everything that is wrong. But I'm not going to let him blame me.

He's been given a new chance to live with this surgery. He's just pretty stupid to not do what he has to do. And don't tell me it's hard. I'm eating exactly what his doctors and the nutritionist have told him to eat. So I know it can be done.

DW

1 comment:

www.interiorgraceltd.com said...

You should have him read what is going on with my type1 son in jail. Might read it and run immediately to test....because He Can!
GoodLuck to you.