Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Planning for kidney failure

Can one plan for that? Well, I am starting to think so. Hubby has had a terrible reaction to the pain meds and been sick to his stomach since about 3 am. I can't begin to count the number of times I have been up and down stairs...getting things that he needs. And that got me to thinking about our future and what we are going to need in order for me to continue to care for him at home. Because I know that in the future, I won't be able to do this.

1. A one level house with at least 2 bedrooms. One for him and one for me. He took up the entire king size bed with his foot last night. No way we could share a bed when he is home from a surgery and since this is the 3rd time they've cut out gout...I can only imagine it's just the beginning.

2. Deep sink near the bedroom to rinse out pans and such. You just can't rinse stuff in a normal bathroom sink.

3. He needs his own bathroom. Today, we have meds spread out all over the bathroom sink counter, all over every available inch of dresser and nightstand top. I sort of feel like it's turned into a mini hospital room....and that's just not conducive to rest for me.

4. An extra wide garage so he can get in and out of the car. Or perhaps just one vehicle in a 2 car garage.

5. A residence that is close to carry-out or delivery, including a grocery store that delivers. He is just not able to go anywhere at the moment. As long as I'm here, I can run errands. But let's just say that I had a family emergency and had to leave...we need to have ammenities available nearby.

6. It hit me today that I need to find a courier service of some type for prescriptions. If I'm not here, someone needs to come get his insurance card, and then go get the RX and bring it back. The pain meds have made him so sick that he needs a new Rx.

7. A toilet located closer to the bed. Interestingly, in our bedroom, you walk down a hall, past 2 closets, past the shower and then you get to the toilet. Never gave that much thought until today.

8. Refrigerator and microwave inside the bedroom! LOL! Well....closer than down a flight of stairs and through 2 rooms. I need to research ADA houses next.

9. Trash can that slides out from under the bed with a remote control device. Seriously! This guy can't toss trass 2 feet!

10. A mini bar next to my bed because I'm going to start drinking if he doesn't get all well real soon! :o)

DW - trying desparately to find an ounce of humor today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're experiancing caregiver burn out. I don't know where you live but many states have programs that provide Medical assistance or Respite Care when the primary caregiver needs a break.

As for Meds, look into Mail Order. On most insurance plans its cheaper and they send them right to your home. Of course this only really works if your husband's meds are pretty stable.

Have you ever thought to just turn off your cell phone, leave him alone at home, let him sit in his trash heap and urine soaked sheets for a bit? Or just stop doing everything for him. I mean if you're the one doing everything for him, then what motivation does he have to get better? You'll just do it for him.