Sunday, April 22, 2012

The titanic is sinking

I got a great night's sleep. And today after a chat with my youngest sister. I decided that my life was like the titanic and I need to get off. I wrote my feelings in a note to hubby. I'm not sure he understood what I was saying, but I think those of my regular readers will.

There are so many different things going on in our life right now. He is with his parents who are a sinking ship on their own. He is not communicating with me at all, making decisions with his brother that will affect my life. So I told him that I'm building a raft and getting on it and if he wants to get on it with me that is fine. But it means that I am involved in every decision. No more meetings with his parents without me. No more worrying about his mom getting upset because I know what is going on. And if we winter with them, they will not yell at me or talk down to me.

I told him that his diabetes is a sinking ship and on the raft, there is only exercise and healthy eating. He can make that choice, but if he decides to continue at the buffet on the Titanic, I won't be there with him.

I also explained that I'm not going to his doctors again. That ship has sailed!

I realized today that I can survive without him and that the stress with him is causing my own body to break down and that I need to step off the ship and get on a raft in order to survive.
O
I've been building this raft and didn't even know it. I started downsizing a year ago selling large items on eBay. I added a plank to the raft when we decided to move closer to my family...something I need in order to get back to happiness.

Of course, he wrote back and said he did not understand what I wanted him to say.

I wrote back that it was very clear and really simple. He can stay on the titanic or he can get on the raft. Each is a distinct place and there is nothing in between. I clearly wrote out what life on the raft will be like. I told him that it is a very strong raft, but it doesn't come with a buffet, and you can't hire done the things you don't want to do, you have to buckle down and work hard.

He still has not said what he wants to do. He said we could talk about it when he gets home....which I translate to mean that he doesn't want anything to change.

So, here I go. I am going to move forward ever so slowly...but I have taken the first step onto my raft. I have made a choice to get off his sinking ship. I am giving him a choice to join me. He will never be able to say that I left him. He can only say that he chose not to join me.
I feel great. I know I will have to work hard every day to stay on the raft...but I am not ready to sink!

It's the perfect analogy. And it's what I am going to focus on. I really have to get back to where I can laugh and enjoy life and not worry.

Yeah me!!

Ok, who is ready to build their own raft and step on it?

DW

3 comments:

Lilly said...

I think that your analogy is perfect. When I think about it, perhaps I have started to build my own raft as well. I will keep you in my prayers! Hopefully, your hubby will go for the life raft instead of staying on the Titanic with the buffet . . . but as you said, the ultimate choice is his. You can't rescue him if he wants to go down with the ship, and it's not fair of him to expect you to join him.

Take care,

Lilly

whimsy2 said...

I've been reading your blog for 3 years now and I've been waiting for you to make that decision. Congrats, you've finally done it! Now move forward. And good luck.

Diabeteswife said...

While the decision is made, the actual progress will be long and on-going. I can't simply move out today! But at least I've admitted the ship is sinking and made the decision to get on the raft!!! That's the first step!!

DW