Saturday, November 03, 2007

I had forgotten

what it's like when he travels. He gets such a high, such a rush, from being on the road, being in front of others giving presentations. And when he comes home....there's the inevitable crash. It started at 7 am today when he got up and fixed himself something to eat. I can tell he's still low. About an hour ago I just wanted to say, "Let's have our post-trip blow out...just go ahead, yell at me, get it over with!" Well, I should have because it just happened.

By yelling at me, the adrenaline starts to pump into his system again and the low will start to turn around....and he will be just fine in another 2 hours.

I am eternally tired of this. So when he comes to apologize....when he's all fine and dandy and wants to know what's wrong with me....I just smile and move forward.

But a little piece of me dies every time this happens. And he has 2 more trips coming up.

I really wish I could explain this to him so that he could see what a repitious patern this is. But he doesn't want to see that, so he won't.

4 comments:

Jean Berg-Sarauer said...

I feel your pain. Believe me, I truly do! Here's to us and our long-term survival.

-Faith
http://spouseofanoncompliantdiabetic.blogspot.com/

Toni said...

I'm sorry to hear that things are this way. Coming from a diabetic, it doesn't have to be this way. Sounds like your husband needs to join tudiabetes so he knows it doesn't have to be that way either!

whimsy2 said...

You know, there IS something he can take for his lows. They're called glucose tabs. They're not bad tasting at all -- quite sweet, actually -- and each one raises BGs a specific amount - usually 10 to 15 points per tab. If he's low he needs to test to find out where he is, then take the appropriate number of glucose tabs to bring him up to 70 or above. The low will resolve within 15 minutes.

If he knows this is possible but refuses to do it he's being just plain mean, IMHO.

Diabeteswife said...

He refuses to take glucose tabs.