Tuesday, July 17, 2007

2:00 am and a big low

I woke up and he was downstairs. So I came down to make sure he was ok. No, he was having a major low. I can almost see it in his eyes these days. They get all glossed over and he just can't seem to focus when he looks at me. He was eating canned peaches. I sat down beside him and rubbed his back for about 10 minutes, asking if there was anything I could do to help. He said, "Just sit here with me".

It's been awhile since he's had a middle-of-the night low. But with a high A1c, I still can't figure out when he is having his highs.

I'm glad that he still wakes up, but I often worry that he won't.

This is a low that he won't remember. When he wakes up he will feel like he slept all night long. I also find that to be so strange. He's back sound asleep, I can hear him snoring.

As for me...I'm wide awake!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to check in and let you know that hubby seems to be doing "okay." He is able to walk around almost normally but bending his right knee to get into a car or sit down, etc., is not a good thing. It's a bit swollen and with all those scrapes, it does not look good. There is a chance (slim, but still there) that he might see the on-site physician at his workplace if it continues to hurt and look bad. We'll see!

I'm glad that your husband does wake up for those lows. I've heard they don't remember afterwards. My uncle was what they used to call a "brittle" diabetic and had crazy lows and highs so had to test about eight times a day to catch the highs. In his case it was after meals mainly but in your husband's case I wonder about times when his feet are especially painful? I wish a person could "wear" a meter all day for a few days to get a sense of what happens.