Thursday, March 01, 2012

Day 4 - post "devastation"

Well, he is bouncing back from Monday's news.  It's now Thursday evening and while the roller coaster has been in full force this week and I know that it's not going to stop, we are at least talking reasonable - at times.  ha ha!

Answering some comments:

I have excellent health insurance with my retirement and can add him to my policy at any time.  His own insurance will continue as is for a year.  So we really have no worries there.

I'm sure with his multiple outpatient surgeries, 2 carpel tunnel surgeries, bypass and spinal operation his management has had their eye on him for at least the last 3 years.  It is his own fault that he never signed up under ADA.  He should have.  But that may not have prevented this.  I heard that another manager who has cancer was let go.  He could go on short term disability for up to 2 years even at this point, but he probably won't.

We will spend the weekend looking at the retirement package he was offered.  I'm pretty sure he is going to go that route.  I think applying for jobs internally was a kneejerk reaction.  After 2 days of doing that he suddenly realized that anything he takes is going to put him back into international travel status and he doesn't want that.

The good thing is that we have had numerous talks this week.  More than ever.  And we agreed to just talk and make no decisions until next Monday at the very earliest.  So that's all good.

Interesting - he hasn't told his adult children.  I'm guessing he's going to wait until he decides to take the retirement package and then just tell them he decided to retire.

They offered him $2500 for career training and I hope he will take advantage of that.  He loves animation and even if he never works again, I think he should take some classes and have some fun.

Finances - well, you know, does anyone ever have enough money?  LOL!  We will be fine due to investments we've made.  But will most likely cut back on the fun stuff and that will be hard for him.  :o)

We are holding steady and for that, I am most grateful!!!

DW

No comments: