Friday, March 04, 2011

March 4th already???

I think when your spouse is sick, life just passes you by. I can't believe it's the 4th already. Where did my week go? I think the best thing I ever did was to move upstairs and quit sleeping next to him on the sofa. He doesn't like being alone! Next day, he made it upstairs to shower and was ready to move the bed up there....but I told him the guys couldn't come til tomorrow! I figured I at least deserved a few nights of solitude. But I have to say, he has made remarkable progress this week. Going upstairs every day to shower. It's wonderful!

OT actually quit coming in. We made a few modifications like gripper bars in the garage so he can go down the steps and get in the car. Got the wheelchair ramps packed up. Will call Monday for them to come take the wheelchair. We made it to the surgeon's office and while it was absolutely exhausting for both of us, he got there and back in one piece and didn't fall down!

The clinic sent someone out to do labs this week and his creatinine is down to 2.0 36% kidney function! WOW!!! That was such great news!

He has stuck to his diabetic renal diet all week long. I know it is hard for him, but I am adament that I will not go out to eat with him. We can go out 1 time a month and he can have salad or a veggie burger. We have an elderly couple that have promised to take him to an Italian place he loves and I told him plain pasta. So far, he is agreeing. When we went to the surgeon's office, I packed a lunch. We did just fine. But what a huge lifestyle change. I hope he sticks with it.

PT is still coming out to the house. But just once a week now. No clinic PT, the surgeon just wants him to walk, walk, walk.

He is back working from his home office about 1 - 2 hours per day....just the last 3 days. It does wear him out and he then sleeps for 3-4 hours while I go run errands.

So as to my life.....non existant! Yesterday, I cleaned our bedroom, did 4 loads of laundry, dishes, and finished up the taxes. Today I got groceries and put them away, cleaned the kitchen and my studio, got the taxes entered on his computer so he can file them electronically.....and that was all I could muster up the energy to do today. I haven't had a moment to be creative or do much in the way of art for over 5 weeks now. All my art pals are going to disown me if I don't do something quick! LOL!

But I'm happy to say that I think we are truly on the home stretch. While I realize that his blood sugars are still too high - running around 180 - and that if he falls off his diabetic renal diet, that his kidneys will shut down - I am happy to be where we are for the moment. I'll be even happier tomorrow when the bed get's out of the family room and back upstairs!

We have had several long talks. And here's what's bothering me now. He doesn't seem to remember them very long. I need to start keeping notes on his short term memory. I don't know if perhaps he had a mini stroke somewhere in the midst of all this, or something happened, but he just doesn't seem to remember stuff from one moment to the next. I'm not overly concerned, but do want to sort of chart that.

He's getting better at wearing his brace. Horrible at using the sock puller-on thingy. Must think I have the back of a 5 year old. ha ha!

All-in-all.....we are doing great. Hard to believe that 4 short weeks ago I honestly didn't think he would be alive today. Interesting comment by the surgeon.....he said the same thing.....that my hubby literally scared him to death. He said, "as a professional, I have to say certain things when the moment is happening, but I want you to know now that you scared me to death." He has termed him the "xxxx case" (using our surname) and said that they have been referring to us in hospital meetings and do not want this to ever happen again. Already, they have changed policy and an endocrinologist is brought on immediately when a diabetic admits for surgery. I was so happy to hear they made that change. I think it will help many diabetics.

So you all have a job to do. When I get so blame mad at him....just remind me how happy I am to have him alive! LOLOL!!!!

I have repeated to him over and over and over that I will not go through this again. That I will not be at his side at the hospital and that I will not drive him to and from dialysis treatments. I think he gets it. I hope he does.


1 comment:

Lynn Barry said...