Friday, March 05, 2010

Pre op visit

OK, I don't think either one of us were prepared for this. We met with a nurse this afternoon and sat as she explained what was going to happen. Starting the night before surgery - going thru til he comes home. She was graphic. She was explicit. She didn't leave out a single detail. We were there for about 1 1/2 hours. I can't even put it all down because I will get sick to my stomach again.

Yes - again! About an hour after we left her office, my husband got terribly ill. He said he didn't know what was going on, he just felt horribly sick to his stomach. About 10 minutes later I had the same wave come over me and as we talked about it, we realized it was a combination of nerves, and graphic images of what she had been talking about. We both had to lay down for a bit. AFter we had supper, we were a whole lot better.

Just the thought of a large needle going into his jugular vein....or wires coming out of his heart to hook him up to a pacemaker should arythmia set in.....and neither one of us handle hosptials very well to start out with.

I would have to say that we are probably just a little shell shocked this evening. The really good thing is that for the next 5 days - no doctors visits or labs....we don't have to look at anyone or do anything related to medical stuff. My sister and her husband came down tonight and will be here thru the weekend. The grandkids will be here tomorrow. It will be a good weekend and it will go past quickly.

He is havinga whole lot of lows today and I'm not happy about them. Nothing seems to be bringing them up. OK, peanut butter - nothing is bringing him up. So I suggested that he try to get ahold of someone tomorrow. It does worry me that he will go too low in the middle of the night.

So,other than being a nervous wreck and feeling like I want to puke my guts out....we're doing just fine! LOL!

DW

No comments: