Friday, August 14, 2009

Parkinsons? Or neuropathy?

We went to dinner tonight and when he went to cut his steak, his right hand just started shaking violently. It's hard to describe but I had never seen anything like it before. He laid his hand down on the table, used his left hand to remove the fork from his right hand and let it just lay there. When he went to pick up his fork again, it was still shaking, but much better.

It truly looked like an extremely severe case of parkinsons. I asked him about it. He said that there are no nerves left and sometimes, it depends on the angle of his hand when he picks up his fork, it will just shake like that. He just has to rest it, change the angle and start over.

Scared the crap out of me! I was just glad he didn't have a sharp knife in that hand...he could have cut himself.

I just have to wonder, "what next?" Sigh.

DW

2 comments:

Linda said...

I am new to this -went looking for something on the internet in the form of support. My husband has been a diabetic for over 30 years, had a lower left leg amputation in 2003 and is currently fighting an infection on his right foot (that in itself is a very long story). It is coming along but on Monday his blood sugar was so low that I ended up calling 911. I have not been at ease since. Scared me to death, for sure. Praying alot. I will keep reading this blog. Thank you - I feel so overwhelmed at times.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, it just never ends, does it? I don't want to bore you, but my husband's brother (45 years old) came out of drug rehab and decided he would try to live with us. This was against my better judgement because I was not convinced he really wanted to be clean and figured our house may be a place to get away with more of the same.

Anyway, he lasted two weeks, and when my husband and I told him that he had to participate in some type of program in order to stay - he freaked out. complained to his family that I kicked him out -- another brother just kept telling us to ask him to pee in a cup and have him drug tested. his mother said, just go to meetings with him.

with everything I do for my diabetic husband (which they just don't fully comprehend) I just can't take on the intense care needed for another adult man - who may or may not want to really be helping himself.

I'm feeling ok my decisions but the last 3 weeks have been really hard. Now I'm going away for a week of business and it will be a difficult week of long days of meetings, but I'll glad to be along in that hotel room every nite with no one to take care of but me!

thinking of you

Tom's Wife