Thursday, June 18, 2009

Surviving 101

Send the diabetic spouse to his parents. Have him take the pets. Listen to the silence. Start to remember what it is like to be able to spend a whole entire day without living in a world of diabetes. No blood stains from shots. No flopping in bed. No noise from a CPap machine. Listen again to the silence. Renew the spirit. Revive the soul.

I have decided that I could fall in love with silence.

I am healing. I am finding new strenght. Perhaps when he comes back, I just need to go away a little more often so I can remember who I am without being the wife of a diabetic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not alone, but I'm at my wit's end with my husband. His latest A1c was 12.3 and he continues to eat and gain weight. He lies constantly about his eating, and he doesn't check his blood sugar and makes up a number. I was gone for two weeks during which he never checked his sugar and lied about his numbers. I can't go on like this.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm the wife of a Type I diabetic. We've been married for just over 5 years. I just started my own blog (much like yours) tonight in order to vent & seek support from others like me. I'm still setting it up & it's hard to not make it too personal just in case he comes across it or his parents or other family members do. Mine is http://marriedtoadiabetic.blogspot.com/ & I'm new to this arena! You should add the followers gadget so I can "follow" you in order to get the updates on your posts! Thanks again for putting yourself out there & sharing! It's nice to know that I'm not alone!
~A fellow Mrs. Diabetic

FlipFlop said...

I've been married to a type 1 diabetic for nearly 30 years. Tonight he had a very bad insulin reaction I couldn't pull him out of. I had to call the paramedics. Not the first time, but usually I can take care of it myself.
It's been 30 years of hell for both of us - endless low blood sugars, poor sleep from checking on him throughout the night, not to mention the rigid life that comes with it. It's not his fault. I know that. He does work hard to maintain his blood sugar. He hates putting me in this position.
But tonight, I could take it no more. I broke down and cried for 15 minutes. I consider myself a strong person, but I don't have much strength left. I feel so guilty that I have these feelings. What do you other spouses of diabetics do?