Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Memory loss, sugar low, or both

An interesting problem has developed in the past few weeks. Well, it's not a "problem" - but it could be. This past weekend, hubby asked me to help him clean out his closet. Oh me....what a mess! But mission accomplished! He laid on the bed while I pulled things out and he had 3 choices: Goodwill, keep, or box. Simple process.

A few times there would be an empty box or package and he'd make a comment, "oh that goes to so and so that you borrowed." I just blew the comments off...not even paying attention. Until it came to an empty "compac" box (computer company). He said, "that is for the HP calculator of mine that you took." I simply stood there and said, "what HP calculator?" He said, "the one you use all the time." I pointed to the outside of the box and said, "this says COMPAC!!!" He said, "well, you took that one, too." To which I replied, "I have never used a compac calculator in my life. I bought the HP12C in graduate school.....FIFTEEN years before I met you!!" and he said, "No you didn't, I bought it - you took it from me!"

I was simply stunned into silence by my sheer utter disbelief in his statement. I mean, I just cannot comprehend what is happening to him. I understand memory loss. I understand sugar lows. But I don't understand how on earth he can possibly be to the point where he thinks that everything that is in this house is something that he purchased and I "took"!

And yes, a calculator is a very small item (even though when I purchased this one.....at that time....it cost $150 so it was a major purchase for someone in graduate school). But it's the concept behind the statements. First, that I would "take" something away from him that was "his". Second - that even though I have worked 33 years in my life....I never purchased anything - he bought it all.

Is delusion a part of memory loss? Is this what happens when nerve endings and brain cells start to die off? Just something else to keep my eye on as this disease continues to progress throughout his body.

No comments: