Friday, April 04, 2008

And it happened again

I'm going to quit saying "what next?"

His mom called this morning, crying...her usual drama stuff. They were air lifting his father 3 hours to a heart center to perform a triple bypass. Of course, we both go into over-active radar mood. He books a last minute flight (can we just say mega bucks?) rented a car, got a hotel while I did his laundry, drove him to the airport and came back home.

Now....I should have stopped to think, but I didn't. All I thought about was that if it was my mom, I'd be on the move as well. But I forgot, it is his mom.

And the strangest thing kept gnawing in the back of my mind. She said she couldn't get there until some time next week.

So, your husband is going to have a triple bypass in a city 3 hours from where you live and you can't drop whatever is going on in your life and be with him? I just do not understand that. But then, I don't make any bones about it...I do not understand my mother-in-law and her constant drama.

Anyway, he calls me. He's talked to the doctor. They are going to release his dad. Hubby has to drive him the 3 hours home and then next week, drive him back to do the bypass surgery.

I came unglued. What doctor in their right mind AIR LIFTS someone to another hospital just to have them released and sent home? Well, I have been emailing his brother's wife tonight and we agree...the local doctors just don't want to deal with our mother-in-law! LOL!

But hubby is out a monstrous airplane bill, hotel, car rental....and if he had just waited 6 hours....he would have seen that he did not need to go down at all.

So why am I concerned? Because he does not need any of this stress. He certainly does not need to be driving that 3 hours back and forth. He just took a week to run down there because of his grandmother...now this. Am I seeing a pattern start this year? Ever few weeks there is going to be some type of crisis? I'm ready to relocate to a foreign country! Well....almost!

And now...he says he may fly me down there to stay with his grandmother so his mom can go with him and his dad for the surgery. I'm thinking home care would be a cheaper and better solution. But on the other hand, I will do nothing but worry about him the whole time he is gone.

And my next note to self....he is now wearing depends day and night. So the incontinence has gotten worse. Sigh. I worry that the stress of this will do him in.

I have what I'm calling a "survival" trip planned starting 4/11. I'm planning to fly to visit a close friend for 3 weeks to rest, recover fully from my pneumonia, and take a break from all this. His plans to fly me down to take care of grandma will cancel that trip and honestly, I think I desparately need it right now.

DW

No comments: