Friday, September 21, 2007

Incontinence

Well, he had his first incidence of this on the road today. I think it upset him quite a bit. I had already researched this when he said his prostate was enlarged, so it does not come as much of a surprise. We've already experienced a few bouts of bowel incontenence and now this. I'm just not sure I'm ready for it. I know he isn't.

What did surprise me was he said his doctor told him that he no longer needs his 6 pm insulin shot. He only takes them when he wakes up and goes to bed now. I wonder if this change is what has triggered our recent rounds of lows? I think I will go back to charting the time the outbursts occur. I wonder if the doctor ordered this change or if he just decided to make the change. I'm more apt to believe this is the case.

Other than that, today's leg of our road trip was uneventful (like that's not more than enough?)

DW

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do hope those incontinence episodes are few and far between. They don't happen frequently here, but they always rattle me. I don't understand how they can happen so randomly - but I'm certainly glad it's not all the time.

Enjoy your trip, and I'm hoping you have good results with your experiment!

Diabeteswife said...

I think it rattled him! It happened again today. He said he has absolutely no warning...just a sudden urge to go and then no ability to hold it in. I asked if he had discussed this with his doctor and he said yes. (OK, he just doesn't share a thing with me!) So I asked if his doctor had a resolution and he said they were talking about trying a medication.

Now, that makes me think he hasn't spoken to his doc yet. Why would you just "talk" about "trying" a med? I give up! LOLOL!

I suggested depends....and of course that went over like a lead balloon! The hotel where we stopped last night had a coin operated laundry room, so problem taken care of for the time being. And no, I did not do his laundry. :o)

We are at his parent's house for the next couple of days. I've scheduled a whole day of teaching art tomorrow about 3 hours from here. It will be great fun for me! And he will get to spend the time with his family. Wonder if he will share with them his upcoming foot surgery. Will be interesting.

DW

Unknown said...

From what you've said in earlier posts, I think he may well be a LADA (type 1.5) rather than a type 2. Not that there's much difference once you are on insulin.

I'd also be flabbergasted if the doc said "only one shot a day"! Given the highs and lows he has I would have expected one or two shots of an ultra-lente basal insulin (Lantus or Levemir) to give a basal dose and then a shot of quick acting insulin like NovoRapid just before meals. A once daily shot? I'm sorry to say this, but I think you're getting the wool pulled over your eyes.

I hope the incontinence is a rare occurrence. It must be very unpleasant for you both.

Anonymous said...

hey dw,

I came across this article on Helping Spouses today, made me think about you and what you experience each day. I hope it helps!

Albert