Monday, August 27, 2007

Life changes in a single moment

My sis and her hubby were with us all last week in Vegas. We went out riding in the mountains on our ATVs yesterday and had a great time. We all went to the kennel this morning to pick up our pets and they left to go 2 1/2 miles through the mountains to their home. I knew that he was going back to work at noon today. At 2:30, I got a phone call from her telling me that he had had a heart attack and they were air lifting him to the "big" city.

And I just started crying. He is only 54 years old. Just a year younger than me. Way too young. And I know she is not ready for this at all.

There are a zillion things that flash through your mind. Like....I just saw him this morning. He was perfectly ok. He looked great. Are you sure he had a heart attack? Is this some kind of a joke?

She had just had my hubby help her place an order for a new computer online last night and wanted me to cancel the order. Amazing what you can do when you explain that someone has just had a major heart attack and you don't know if they will live or not. Amazing service. The order had shipped, but the guy was going to contact the carrier and have them return it.

Amazing what your priorities in life are when someone has a heart attack. My youngest sister's husband went to sleep about 3 years ago and never woke up. Had a heart attack while sleeping. I don't think my family has recovered from that loss yet. And now this.

I called her back and he is stable. We have another sis (mom was smart to have so many kids!) who lives next door and she is driving her halfway down and I will meet her and bring her into the hospital. I am so glad we live in the "big city" so she has family here and isn't stuck alone in a hotel at night. But things to think about when planning for our future.

Do you ever have enough insurance? Is there money set aside to pay for hotel rooms? Is there an empty credit card for emergencies? How long does it take to find the DNR? What do you do with the pets? And will there be a tomorrow?

My brother-in-law does not have diabetes. He works in construction and I've always thought him to be remarkably healthy. While in Vegas, he walked about 10 miles per day before the heat set in. I so admired him for his ability to get out and do that. Proof that life is not partial to those who are healthiest, or to those who are sickest. But the question is, how well do we plan for what might happen? Can we plan for it?

I do think that my hubby and I need to start now planning for the future. For what might happen. I know I keep a credit card that has a $10K limit empty. I used to joke and tell him that it was in case he died overseas while traveling for work. Now I'm thinking I need a couple of those in case I have to air lift either one of us somewhere and we need nursing home care, etc.

I have a couple of hours before I need to go meet her and be off to the hospital. Me, who hates (abhors) hospitals....but at least he is alive. Prayer is a powerful thing and I've already put out the call for more. I believe in it more than anything. But I also believe that Jehovah knows what is best for all of us.

Life changes in a single moment. In the blink of an eye. In one phone call. In one breath.

I need to do a better job of taking care of the life that I have, and in planning for my own future.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is such a shock when those who seem so healthy and vital have heart attacks at an early age, while those who fit the pattern for having them manage to squeak by without having them. I've been so concerned about my husband having one, but I'll probably end up being the one in ICU! By the way, do you have any thoughts - good or bad - on the preventative benefit of those full body scans that are supposed to detect plaque on the arteries?

Good idea about keeping that credit line available. We try to keep liquid funds for emergencies, but these days, a credit card is essential for all the reasons you mentioned. I also keep a bag packed and ready to go in case I have to spend a lot of time in a hospital waiting room. Mine has a change of clothes, toiletries, a bit of cash, some puzzle books, and a list sticking out the top that tells me all the things I need to grab on my way out the door (cell phone, etc.). I didn't have the living will and related paperwork folder on my "grab" list, but that will get done tonight.

I need something to stay busy with tonight anyway. Hubby decided not to do his overtime tonight due to being exhausted and the ankle swelling, so he's sleeping. I on the other hand will probably not sleep a wink because I'm so out-of-my-brain excited. Our daughter, who has been with the Guard in Baghdad for the last 12 months, is on her way home at this very minute. She's somewhere between Ireland and Indianapolis right now. We can't see her for a few days due to demobilization, but this weekend there will be lots of hugging and happy tears.

I pray that your brother-in-law remains stable and can heal up and get back to living strong. My thoughts are with you and all your family!

Lyrehca said...

I hope your brother in law is okay. Despite the terrible news, great insights in your post. All best to your family.

Diabeteswife said...

Jean, I am so happy for you about your daughter. You will have a wonderful weekend! Enjoy!!!

DW

Kerri. said...

I'm sorry about your brother-in-law. I hope he's recovering quickly!

Diabeteswife said...

Good report here. He is on his way back home. They put a stint in, put him on drugs and he was walking yesterday and out this morning. He is supposed to be on bed rest through the weekend, but I doubt he will stay "down". However, I do feel that he will use this and change his diet and eating patterns. He is quite close to my husband, so I am hoping they will talk and perhaps he can convince my hubby to make a few changes.

OK, I can dream! LOL!