Friday, April 06, 2018

Going blind

He's refusing to go see the eye doctor.

For awhile, he just had "floaters" clouding his vision.

Then it was florescent blue spots.

Now, there are flashes of bright white light and it happens when his eyes are closed.

From what I can see from internet research, his retinas are detaching.

There are thing that could be done to help him.

He's refusing to go to the doctor.....for anything.

He cannot see anything from sunrise til about 11 am, or from about 2:30 pm til sunset.  He says it just looks blank in front of him, but he can see some around the edges.  He thinks it the direction of the sun.

I asked him yesterday what his plan was for when he goes blind.  He said he would just walk into the sunset.  Jokingly, I asked him how he would know where the sun was if he couldn't see it.  He said he'd walk towards the heat.

Maybe it's good that he can joke about this.

But I was quite serious.  I have no idea what we will do and I think we need a plan.  Obviously he doesn't.

He said he was up almost all night last night with the flashes.  I don't know how he can go so long with so little sleep.

We are having a spring/winter/spring/winter mix of weather.  When it's warm, I'm outside working in the yard and sometimes I think I'm trying to kill myself.  I was so tired last night I just dropped into bed and fell sound asleep.  At least it is keeping my mind on something other than the prospect of him going blind.  And it's keeping me busy!

The blessing is that he's not blind yet.

DW

No comments: