Thursday, March 08, 2018

Interesting things about traveling

He had a very hard time adjusting to altitude changes.  I thought that was interesting.  The higher the altitude, the more nitroglycerin he took and the more difficulty he had breathing.   I don't think either of us were prepared for that.

Temperature changes affected him as well.  If he got cold, he put on gloves....and I'd be so hot I'd have the AC on blast!

Almost a comedy of errors.  He worried constantly about having enough insulin.  I reassured him that we were never more than 3 or 4 days from home and could start back any time he wanted.

We were gone almost a month.  I loved every moment of it.  Pretty sure he hated everything about it! LOL!!!  But coming home was a shocker to me.  I don't think he moved the first 4 days that we were back.  And even now, a couple of weeks later, he sits in his recliner nearly 24/7.

He got a new bed and while the mattress is great...he doesn't use it.  Says his hips hurt if he lays down too long.  I think that might be true with any mattress.

Sometimes I wonder if he is just waiting to die.  Nothing interests him.  Nothing motivates him.  As far as I can tell, he has stopped doing anything that he enjoyed.  LED lights, 3D printing.  He is like a zombie just sitting there watching TV.

I reminded him that he had said he would go see the doctor about getting his cataracts removed.  He said, "I don't think I'm going.  I might as well just go blind."  I just looked at him and said, "who is going to take care of you?"  Of course, I will....but I don't want him thinking that!  If there's a chance surgery will help, he needs to do the surgery.  (Remember, he has had cornea transplants so the first issue is finding someone who would even agree to do the cataract surgery!)

We are plodding along.  One day at a time.  He is getting a little more involved in life here at home and I've hit the trail full blaze.  Lots of activities with my friends and prepping the yard for spring and all the work that comes with setting in new plants.  And I decided to rip out the back corner to have a spot to park our little camper.  Maybe I keep busy so I don't have time to stop and think about his disease.  Maybe it's a form of denial.  Denial of what the future holds more than denial about the disease I think.

I'm off for a getaway weekend tomorrow with a bunch of gal pals.  Looking forward to it!

DW

No comments: