Wednesday, March 17, 2010

One week post op

I finally have a moment to post. One of these days I will tell the whole story. But in a nutshell, it was a success.

He was scheduled to have 5 bypasses. His arteries are shot. There was only enough good veins to do 3 bypasses. So then they did a TMR - something that's only been around since 2001. Punch microscopic holes in his heart to stimulate blood flow and create new capillaries. I googled it. Quite interesting. Not something the surgeon had mentioned beforehand. But perhaps a possible way to get blood flowing. 2 punches on the right side, 7 holes on the left side.

Surgery was 5 1/2 hours. It was another 4 hours before he was off the ventilator. The second night, they tried him with his cpap and his oxygen fell and he had an anxiety attack. So they left him on oxygen for 5 days. His intestines refused to start back into operation and had to be jump-started today. It has been a true rollercoaster ride with good days and bad days. Glucose has gone up to 350 and down to 60. No one at the hospital really understands humulin R U 500. The pharmacy can't seem to get it to the room til 11 am which is way too late in the day.

A train of doctors and nurses, lab workers coming to visit him. Dietitians can't seem to get a diabetic/heart menu figured out. They certainly don't do low glycemic there, but he is managing pretty well. His appetite comes and goes.

He is going to have a pretty serious schedule that next 12 weeks. We did our physical training yesterday. Yet he constantly forgets to move the way they want him to move. Simple things like he can't open a door - can't move one arm in one direction and not move the other in the same direction. Can't use his arms to get up from a chair with. I sure hope he learns soon!

The great news is that he made it through surgery. Now on to recovery and then he decides how to handle his back. Again, 2010 is going to be an amazing year of change.



Neil Curtis said...

I am glad he is doing OK. If the hospital gets him insulin late, the body starts producing excess fatty acids, and then it takes more insulin. Once the excess fatty acids burn off, then he needs less insulin. Also, I was in the hospital visting my oldest daughter when she was a baby. I certainly could not eat that hospital food. I chose to just starve. Even the so-called diabetic diet is not for me. It is more geared to type 2 diabetics, not type 1. I essentially eat no red meat, lots of home made whole grain breads and do a lot of exercise simply because it makes managing diabetes so much easier. I wish the best, and I appreciate your blog. This is such a good example to diabetics who make excuses. I encourage you to take your journal of blogs and create a book, maybe with other women who have diabetic husbands.

Lilly said...

I am so glad for both of you that he came through the surgery! Unfortunately, hospital stays for a diabetic are always awful when it comes to an appropriate diet and actually getting the right amount of insulin when it is needed. I am still amazed that no one in hospitals seems to know how to manage diabetes. My husband and I learned we had to constantly stay on top of things (which included lots of complaining and self advocacy), as otherwise his sugars stayed sky high during most of his hospital stays. Hang in there, and thank you again for sharing your journey.