Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Missed a few

of your comments over the past few days as I've been having a blast with my artistic pals. Hopefully I can go back and find them and bring them all to the front. And now from the guys:

Michael wrote

DW - I recently stumbled on your blog and thought I'd write. I am a diabetic husband - 30 years old, Type 1 since age 5, son of a Type 1 also diagnosed at that age. My wife (same age) and I have been married for four years, and she's a great person who helps incredibly with my health. I am on an insulin pump and did injections until starting pump therapy toward the end of college in 2001. Anyhow, she often gets frustrated (rightfully so) that I don't take better care of myself, and now as we look to begin a family, I find myself very worried about my 25 diabetic years' impact on future children... In a way I don't want to pass this down, but I want children with her. Just often face the hopelessness of it all, and though she and the pets help alleviate it, it's always there. My A1c is currently at 9, and a constant struggle to get down. Anyhow, I'd like to keep in touch, but am not at this point interested in the posting of this, just wanted to tough base. Thanks. Look forward to hearing from you. - Michael in Indiana
Publish Reject
(Michael Hoskins) 10/10/09
Michael, my husband acquired type 2 at about age 22. His father had it, his grandfather had it. His brother did not get it and so far, his son does not have it. So that tells me there's like a 50% chance your child might get diabetes. I'm sure there are loads of statistics out there.....but this is just his family stats.

I commend you for thinking this through. When my husband was your age, he had no clue about what he was doing to his children.....that his angry outbursts when he was in a low had such an impact on them. I have written this in the past, but I'll say it again....they feel he was a very abusive father. And he most likely was....but not because he was abusive....because he was low. They have very limited contact with him. I see the very same traits in his father. When the 2 men (my husband and his father) are in the same place together - it truly is like watching a "dance". One goes low, the other gets mad and the anger brings the low one up. There's a whole lot of yelling going on in that place. And I'm sure that's what his kids grew up with.

I should also mention that his daughter does have a condition that could be related to pre-diabetes. She has cysts that attach themselves to her ovaries and twist the ovaries and she finally had both removed and most likely will never have children. She also has a huge problem with kidney stones.

He is the type of person who would have had his children regardless if he brought them into this world with diabetes or not.....probably because he is still in so much denial on so many levels

I, myself, had 2 sons who were both critically ill. So I know first hand what it is like to have children who are disabled and need 24/7 medical care. It is not easy. It is not a "life" that I would wish on anyone. I love my sons dearly.....but honestly....taking care of sick kids can wear a person out.


Jim wrote
The Charcot photograph on the right side of your blog shows severe damage. I'm dealing with similar trauma, and I need to stay off my feet as much as possible until it stabilizes. I hope your husband is being treated for the Charcot arthropathy. Best wishes.

What can I say other than yes, yes, yes and I know! Yes, he does stay off his feet as much as possible. Yes, it needs to stabilize. But it has been that way - his feet look just the same as they have for the last 11 years. Part of this I blame on his previous doctor who told him the lumps on his feet were gnarles from his Scottish ancestry. Yes, that doctor should have his license revoked!!!

Is he being treated for arthropathy? No. He is being treated for gout. He has been very very close to amputation in the past, but with surgery that cut out part of the bone, he has managed to keep both feet thus far. He has had periods of crutches, complete inability to walk....and 3 years unable to wear shoes. But for the moment, he is in SAS 10 WWWW and that's better than sandals in the winter months!

DW

No comments: