Saturday, February 28, 2009

Dear Deborah,

Deborah wrote:

I too am the wife of a diabetic. This morning he called me at work ranting about something that was out of my control. Thanks to your blog, I see that I am not alone. I have bookmarked you page and will visit it very often. What I wanted to tell you is I thought there was something wrong with me because I moved out of our bedroom too. I work and when we would go to bed, my husband would have to turn the radio on so loud I couldn't sleep. I hope you will keep your blog going as it has been good for me. We all need to know we are not alone. Thank you so much, Deborah


and I just want to reach out and give you a huge hug and assure you that you are not alone. There are so many of us. Most of us just suffer in silence. I know I did.

It took me 5 years to even start to figure out what the heck was going on. No one sat down and said to me, "he is acting like this because of his sugar levels." No one "educated" me. His doctors didn't bother to consult with me to see how I was doing - I had to figure this out all on my own.

So I started this blog to help others as well as a log, a journal, a story of the progress from now until the end.

Because I am ever so aware that there will be an "end" to this. Either because I leave him, he leaves me, or one of us dies.

We are having a pretty good run of things at the moment. The "new" bed has really helped. I am back sleeping in our bedroom and he seems to be happy about that. I'm happy because he's not flopping - well, he's still flopping, but it's not bouncing me off the bed. I put in ear plugs when I go to sleep and I don't hear a thing. I'm getting such good sleep at night and it really helps me deal with the stress during the day.

So my first piece of advice may well be to figure out how to get a good night's rest and if that means moving out of the bedroom - do it! Because with rest, you can build strength and energy to deal with the rest of this stuff.

Hubby's sugar levels have been pretty good. Even. Even is good for him. I can still tell he has a bit of a morning low....but it's not quite such a huge swing. While his kidney function is still at 22%, it's not moving....which is good.

In the meantime, I have an artist friend here visiting for a few days and am just having the best time of my life. Soooo theraupitic. So my second piece of advice would be to find something that you love, something that makes you happy, something that you can lose your heart and soul to....and find time for that every single day. It will help you deal with the stress of this as well. Even if it's just for 10 minutes! It really helps!

DW

No comments: