Thursday, April 24, 2008

The truly scary part of being the spouse of a diabetic

Dear Anonymous. Rather than go back to the other blogs, I'm going to respond to your comments in a new blog. It's the easiest way I know how.

First...is he still gone? I was a little confused on that one. Did he move out? If it were me, I would get an attorney. I can't begin to fathom and angry diabetic, moving out in a huff, leaving me with children at home. More on that below.

You wrote:
" I have had some issues in dealing with some of the things my normally loving husband said to me during one of his last outbursts. I've been really down. He attacked me on every level - being a parent, my family, my business, my housekeeping, my friendships, and finally my faith. Then he sleeps it off, doesn't really apologize (because I don't think he remembers anything or he's a expert on everyone else) and expects me to just pick myself up by my boot straps & smile & laugh"


That was me 2 years ago. And yes, the words hurt so much that I would cry for days on end. That old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt" just is not true. Words hurt to the very core of your being as they are nothing less than abuse. And of course he sleeps it off and then expects you to forget just like he has forgotten all about it.

I think it's one of the hardest things a spouse has to endure. The tirades that occur during a low that the diabetic will never remember....but are like a fresh stab to the heart forever to you.


" I have 2 children, so I have to keep a good front for them. He expects the whole world to revolve around him - his day, his recreation, his needs. In my last post I shared I have no one to talk to. Well he stormed out this morning. I was in a wonderful mood - beautiful day. He packed up all of his clothes & he's gone. This was all because when he got up in the middle of the night I asked him if he remembered to take his meds. I ask him this about once a week. He yelled at me, Have you taken yours? I don't take any. Thankfully, our teenage children are oblivious."



You may think your children are oblivious. But they are not. In some fashion, their father's anger is abuse and they are growing up with that. If you read one of my recent posts where I was chatting with the adult child of a diabetic father...she knew she grew up with abuse but had not associated it with her father's sugar lows and was shocked when I explained that he probably had no recollection of it. Yet she remembers it so vividly.

You do have me to talk to now, and a lot of other spouses who are slowly coming forward. I think a natural evolution of abuse is to think it's all our fault, that we are the "imperfect" spouse, that we "deserve" this kind of treatment, or that there is something "wrong" with us. We tend to clam up. To "believe" it is all our fault. Trust me, I was right where you are 2 years ago. I just cried so much my hubby told me I was insane. Of course....he also blamed everything on "my midlife crisis" and to this day...he thinks "I'm better because menopause is over". He is so completely clueless. I am better because I have gotten therapy, I've done the research, I know it is HIM and not me, and I am making choices based on facts, not his emotional outbursts.

It was extremely scary for me to "stand up" to him the first dozen times I tried. But I was (and still am) ready to walk out in a heartbeat. And I think once he realized that, things slowly started to change.

But back to your children. I'm only beginning to realize the full impact of my husband's scenario. His father is a diabetic. So my husband proably grew up in a household with these sugar-low-induced-outbursts. Shall we call them SLIOs? My husband has had diabetes since he was 22 years old. So I am sure he then had the same SLIOs towards his own 2 children. His kids are now in their mid 30s and are both pre-diabetic. His son has 2 daughters. So can you see the pattern that continues throughout the generations?

The difference is that I have identified his SLIOs for the most part and have come to learn that I can either insist we immediately go out to eat (and feign hunger on my part) or I can have my own fight-to-get-your-sugar-high with him. (Laughing here as we need an acronym for that one, too!) But every once in awhile I totally space it out and miss one of his SLIOs.....but eventually I figure out what is going on. And at that point, I realize that it is NOT HIM saying those mean words. It is his body's way of trying to let me know that his sugar is down and I need to help him out.

OK....it's my way of staying sane. Because on some level, he must think those awful things about me if he is going to say them in a low. But I swear, he does not remember saying them at all, will deny he ever said anything that horrible to me and thinks I think them up in my head!

Most of my husband's SLIOs come when I'm at my happiest. When I least expect them. Hmmmm.......

"I was so happy last week that he (after me insisting this was his sugar levels AND he wants to prove me wrong) made an appt to go to Mayo. He has been once before without me. (I didn't know he was going.) The doctor (I think) scolded him pretty bad & told him if he didn't drop 20 or more lbs & get in shape he was getting a pump. So he hasn't been back, just continues to eat and eat. Finally I took the initiative 2 weeks ago in desperation to visit my own doctor. I was really scared, and don't laugh, that he was going to check me into a mental health clinic to save face for himself. Now remember I have not shared what I have been going through with anyone for almost 2 years. He told me he called all of these places about me. HE HAS diagnosed me as bipolar because I "cry all the time". He has never taken 1 medical related course in his life! I admit his outburst the week before, the one I wrote about in my first post, that I really fell apart. I have never had anyone talk that way to me. It was all over me interjecting to suggest my daughter wanted a hard shell taco instead of a soft shell taco. He called me down in front of the waitress like a 2 year old. I just got up & went to the car. All the way home he screamed & screamed. I found myself retreating into myself. I was scared & I hated myself for letting someone talk to me that way and I've heard the same things so many times - stupid, crazy, not good enough, not religious enough... I think I was just about there! I stayed up most of the night just praying. Sad to say, I haven't done alot of that lately."


I really want to cry for you and with you. I can't begin to tell you how many, many, many times this happened to me. Like you, I really thought I was the insane one. My husband was forever telling me that I needed mental help. He could make me cry at the drop of a pin. I realize now it's because I was scared, I had no idea what was happening, I felt like our marriage was falling apart, that it was me...that I wasn't a good enough wife....everything you just wrote. Everything he said belittled me. Everything was my fault. Oh goodness....if he couldn't find an ink pen it was because I had taken all of them! And pray? well...my knees had callouses! I was "weepy" for nearly 2 years. I NEVER talked about any of it to anyone....not even my sisters who I am very close to. I totally fell apart....with each outburst....and it even got to the point where I fell apart if he just looked at me with an angry look.

I didn't want to endure another outburst. I couldn't even handle the thought of it. I remember laying awake in the middle of the night thinking that if I get up to go to the bathroom and I wake him up, he will get so mad at me.....and I would just lay there until I was in such physical pain...and then lay there until he was snoring so loud I hoped I could get up without waking him up. You get to where your whole life is just eggshells and you have no idea what it is that is going to cause an outburst.

Someone asked me a couple of years ago why I had such black circles under my eyes. That was a turning point for me. I realized it was impacting my health and if someone else could tell there was something physically wrong with me, I had to get help. Well...the black circles were from stress and lack of sleep...NOT from him hitting me! Guess I should clarify that!


"The next day one of the people who work under him at his job approached ME & she said things had been terrible for her. I was put in a very awkward position. I told her to do her job and not argue with him. He guessed by something she said that she and I had talked. I have never lied to my husband. I explained to him how it came down and he said I was not to discuss anything else with her. The next day he made me an appt. to go to Mayo, too. After this morning's incident, I've thought about it, and I canceled my appt. and I'm going back to my own doctor here. I feel like the whole reason for me wanting to go with him in the first place was to be there for him & possibly get some information on helping him. I would never go behind his back, but I feel like he wants the docs there to find something on me to take the pressure off of himself."


Your advice to his employee was very good. Do your job. Don't argue. I have started telling my husband that he needs to call so and so back and apologize to them. Or I will ask, "do you realize you were just yelling at that person?" I think we are past the stage where you are....my husband has started to realize that he does not remember some of these things. But I also have learned to tune in and listen to his work conversations (he works from home most of the time) around 10 am....when he seems to take a dive in his sugar levels.

And good for you for cancelling your appointment! Trust me, as women, we know our own bodies so much better than anyone else, so go with your gut feeling on that one.

My husband still will not allow me to go to the doc with him. He will even lie to me point blank about which appointment he is going to in order to keep me away. "It's just the eye doctor today." and then 3 hours later, "well, I messed up, it was the neuropathy guy"! Can you believe he LIES to me? Just proof that he does not want me to know what they are telling him. Well...one, I won't let him lie to the doc and 2, I would then know what he's NOT doing! Such a child!


"I know I'm rambling, but this is the only outlet I have. I can't sleep. I am worried about him. I don't know anyone I can confide in that could talk to him. He is known for being a expert negotiator and a problem solver in our community. What kind of credibility would I have? I'm getting worried how this is affecting his memory, judgement, & decisions as it pertains to our business, too. When he left this morning, he yelled he had had enough & was calling a lawyer. I am heartbroken or am I just in a bad, bad dream."


Sad to say, this is not a bad dream. This is very real. The good thing...you will survive. IF IF IF YOU take steps to protect yourself! Get a lawyer. Go see a psychiatrist. Go through the entire battery of exams to PROVE YOU ARE SANE as he is most likely going to accuse you of being insane. Find a diabetic nurse who will provide you with some counseling. Join a diabetic support group. Even though he may leave you.....he is still the father of your children and a support group can help all of you deal with him and his outbursts even when he is not living with you.

Uncontrolled sugar levels WILL destroy ALL of the nerve endings in his body. So, that is not just the nerve endings that go to his fingers and toes....it will attack the nerve endings in his intestines, his heart, his brain. He will forget things, make bad decisions. It will eventually (if it remains out of control) impact decisions, judgement, driving...everything. He may slip into a coma and not even know it if he is lucky enough to just "wake up". The first time, if like my hubby, he will just deny it happened...even when it happens with a house full of people. And when I called 911 to a neighbor's house when non of us could revive him..he still got pissed at me for doing that! But at least he couldn't deny it happened because the EMTs made him go to the hospital, his levels were so low.

You know, it doesn't matter how good of a negotiator he is, or how important he is. Uncontrolled diabetes will take him down. He needs to do what the doctors tell him to do and he might be able to correct or stall the progression of this disease. But if he refuses to do that....just like my husband is refusing to make any changes at all....then you have 2 choices. You can stay with him or you can leave him. If you stay with him, you have to step up to the plate. I have told my husband in no uncertain terms that he no longer has permission to talk to me in a negative way. And when he starts in, I just say to him in a very loud, stern voice (like I were yelling at a 10 year old) "YOU STILL do not have my permission to talk to me like that". And if he keeps it up, I will get my jacket and keys and walk out. I got that from a therapist and it has worked. Yet I know that any day I may have to leave him permanently. So far, it seems to be working. I just no longer allow him to talk to me in that manner. But I am the one who had to tell him that he could not do that.

What do I have to lose? Anything I say to him in a true sugar low...he is not going to remember.

Think about the example you are setting for your daughter. If you allow your spouse to talk to you in a demeaning manner in front of her, if you clam up and "take it"....you are teaching her that is what she must do if it happens to her. And/or you are teaching both your son and daughter that it is proper behavior to talk to other human beings in that manner. I have learned that it is up to each of us to stop the cycle of abuse....even when it is SLIO related.

Shall I end by repeating, I am not a counselor, therapist, doctor. I only tell you what has worked for me and each situation is different and it could be disastrous for you. I cannot give you advice. Only tell you about my life. Just know you are not alone. There are hundreds of us, probably thousands of us....but I think very few who stay with a non-compliant diabetic until the very end. A choice that I will continue to negotiate every single day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband is in a rage, has been since last night when he woke me up to pick a fight (because I moved some of his DVD's). I checked his meter this morning and last night it read 396. He told me to get out of HIS house, but (kind soul that he is) told me I could wait until the morning. Of course I'm not going anywhere. He's downright nasty when he's angry and its been like this for a few years now, each word I remember too. Just because his sugars are high does not give him an excuse to say such things. These words must come from underlying thoughts he has.

So today he says he's divorcing me. He's so angry right now he spits when he talks.

He acts like a big spoilt baby. Never marry a youngest child diabetic! I think if I meet someone else in the future I'll ask them whether there's been any diabetes in the family in the last 5 generations!!

For all those dealing with similar, chin up!

Anonymous said...

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.  Your words were very encouraging to me.  Today was a good day - but again with no contact - only through my children.  He actually had the gawl to tell one of my daughters he had gone on the coast for the weekend all the while knowing I have been begging him for years to just let's get away & spend some time together.His need must be needed some attention. I am in one of thouse mood I wanty to string him by his toes or other body parts in the city of our town.  But Ikeeping holding onto the belief hopefully my imanginaltion.  No he is not back.  I guess he saw his lawyer.  

Diabeteswife said...

30 something - get an attorney. Protect yourself. First and foremost.

396? Way too high. I agree, if I ever want to marry again (highly doubt it) but I would ask for a complete medical history on him as well as his ancestors. I pray I never find myself in this situation again. Ever.

Anger without action is one thing, but I don't think it takes much for them to move to action, and that can be dangerous for you. Always keep that in mind. Your personal safety has to be your number one priority at a time like this.

Anonymous. It does seem that an angry diabetic will pick the one thing you have wanted to do the most and go off and do just that without you. I'm still not sure of the logic behind this. But then...there just is no logic with an out of control diabetic.

Did you see your lawyer? Seriously. If he is seeing one, then so should you.

Best wishes. I know we are all hurting at different levels. But nonetheless..it still hurts.

CatOfManyHats said...

I am a wife of a non compliant diabetic. He is 39 and I am 32, we have been married for 13 years. He has been hospitalized 3 times in the past year and his blood sugar was staying above 300. When he was hospitalized the last time it wouldn't even register, it said >600 on their meter. The nurses about freaked and ordered a vein blood test...sure enough, it was 597 (after they gave him extra insulin.) He has bouts of anger that I feel is unrational but it is rare and I feel...so sorry to say...that many of you wives are making excuses for your husbands' bad behavior. I wouldn't live with it and neither should you.

Diabeteswife said...

Cat, at the young age of 32, you have much to learn about life and love! Maybe we are making excuses for our husband's bad behavior. Perhaps we are understanding that the behavior is not really them, but what this disease does to them. Only time will tell if any of us stay or leave. One thing for sure, it helps to know we are not alone in this journey.

DW

CatOfManyHats said...

DW, you are so right. Your blog has been so helpful to me. After rereading my previous post I realize how judgmental it sounds. I know we all take more than we should from the men we love. I can certainly relate on so many levels with you, the lying, the denial, and mood swings. You wrote in one of your blogs that you asked hubby if he had taken his medicine and he returned the question to you. I had to LOL. When I ask my hubby if he has checked his blood he'll say, "have you checked yours?" UHG! I also love art, though I never have time to pursue it. I am the only one working because my husband has just been diagnosed with Charcot Foot and he is currently under drs orders to stay off of it. This has been going on since Feb. Very hard living with a non compliant diabetic...though my husband has been doing much better since his diagnosis. Also, he is on the pump and it is a godsend. You should really put a bug in your hubby's ear. If/When he does sneak some chocolate he just puts in the number of carbs and it inserts the appropriate amount of insulin.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm back & a bit stronger. He was gone for 4 nights. No calls. Nothing. I am taking a great risk by still logging on. I saw another doc again today. I broke down during my visit. It's getting more difficult to hide my emotions, but I am getting stronger with each day. God has put angels in my path daily... even at drive thru windows.  I've learned an act of kindness or just a smile goes a long way in brightening my days. He said he didn't see a lawyer, but had his bp & levels checked by some anon doc (no paperwork found), spouted off numbers & that the doc said he was in tip top shape and that was it... he feels it's still and has always been MY problem. He's gone now for his annual. No chance of me talking to his doc there either. Wish you and I could talk face to face or on the phone some time.  You've been a tremendous help. Thanks for the encouraging words. I was raised to be strong and I am rallying. I am working on my self esteem. Going to a therapist a.s.a.p. I love my husband. I just need to find him again. (and find me, too.)

Anonymous said...

After reading cat's comments - maybe the answer is a pump. He's been really watching what he's been eating for his check up. So it will be my luck that the doctor will pat him on the back and send him on his way. And here we go again for another year until his next annual visit. Oh what a crazy world this is becoming. I feel like I'm on a merry-go-round.

cherylharrell (Mrs Harrell) said...

I can relate to ya'lls post. I am enjoying your blog. I am a type 2 diabetic married to a type 1 diabetic. For the most part he is compliant. However lately I've been having a hard time getting him to test his sugar & make an eye appt, podiatrist appt and a drs appt. I'll keep nagging until he does. He is generally very sweet.

Once some yrs ago he did almost choke me to death while having a hypo. He started acting hateful to me arguing at me. I wondered why my sweet hubby was acting like that. He came up to me & had me down on the bed & was started to choke me. To scare him I threatened to call the law on him which just made him worse. I started praysing & he did something I knew wasn't him. He said I should pray cuz God wasn't gonna help me. He is a devout Christian like I am so I knew that wasn't him & something was really wrong. Thankfully, he stopped just in time. He looked around & asked me where was he & what was he doing. I told him & he was so sorry. He ended up running into the other room & passing out in the floor. I had to get him something sweet to pull him out of it. Very scarey. Since the dr switched him from NPH insulin to Lantus insulin he doesn't get lows are much anymore & if he does he can usually catch it & not pass out.

But we both handle this diabetes together. He is legally blind due to having had diabetes for yrs & not knowing it until he went for an eye test in 94 when his vision started to go. So I have to do all the driving. It's alot on me but I know I gotta do it if we want to be able to go anywhere.

Hang in there ya'll. It's not easy always but we survive...